Mortimer & Son, made in 1899
12 Gauge, A & D Ejector, side-by-side shotgun
We are pleased to offer this nice boxlock ejector from Mortimer & Son of Edinburgh. Mortimer guns were built in small numbers and are always of superb quality as the firm heralds from the famous Mortimer gunmaking dynasty from London.
The gun is in fine condition inside and out with bouquet and scroll engraving and 'Mortimer & Son engraved on the side of the action. The gun is fitted with a well figured stock, which remains unaltered, and retaining its original heel and toe plates. The fore-end wood has bolstered shoulders and a delicate tip. The barrels are fine damascus and measure very well, and the bores are unmarked inside and out. Continuing the theme of a best boxlock, it is also fitted with intercepting safety sears.
In order to prepare the gun for sale we have given the gun a full service, strip and clean, the furniture re-blacked and pins re-coloured, and we rebrowned the barrels in 2022 for the previous owner.
The gun was delivered in 1899 to the head of the Johnstone family, who were substantial landowners in Scotland, the family seat being Lathrisk House in Fife.
- Price: £2650
- Action: Anson & Deeley, top lever with Scott spindle and Purdey bolt, dolls head with third bite, rocker safety and Anson push-rod fore-end.
- Gauge: 12
- Barrel Material: Damascus
- Barrel Length: 30in
- Chambers: 2 1/2in
- Proof: Birmingham Nitro Re-proof at .729 in 1977
- Bores: .730 (R) & .735(L)
- Walls: .031 (R) & .027 (L)
- Rib: 3/8in -> 1/4in
- Chokes : 1/2 (R) & FULL (L)
- Ejectors: Yes, Southgate type
- Stock dimensions: 14 1/2in to heel, 14 3/8in to centre, 14 7/8in to toe, Drop at comb 1 11/16in, Drop at heel 2 5/16in
- Cast Off: 1/4in
- Weight: 6lb 12oz
- Location: Dunkeld
Mortimer & Son
The gun making empire of the Mortimer’s was founded by the sons of Samuel Mortimer of London, a victualler – a landlord of a licensed establishment selling alcohol. All three sons became gunmakers in their own right.
Harvey Walkate Mortimer was born in 1753, and the second son, Thomas in 1755. They went into partnership and traded as H. W. Mortimer and T. Mortimer from 1800 to 1807 and then as Thomas Mortimer & Son from 1807 to 1824. The third son, Jackson Mortimer, born in 1762, was apprenticed to Thomas Allport, Gunmaker, in Birmingham. He was in partnership with his son-in-law, John Blanch, as Mortimer and Blanch from 1811 to 1812 and then as Jackson, Mortimer and Son. He was appointed Gunmaker Extraordinary to the Prince of Wales in 1871.
Thomas Jackson Mortimer was born on 20 November 1781. He was the son of Thomas Mortimer. He was apprenticed to his father in 1795, free of the Farriers Company in 1807, and took livery in 1811. From 1806 to 1816 he worked in partnership with his father as T. Mortimer & Son and then had his own business at 21 St. James’s Street, London from 1818 to 1821 and he was Gunsmith-in-Ordinary to George IV.
Thomas Elsworth Mortimer was born on 9 September 1807 in London. He was the son of Thomas Jackson Mortimer and Elizabeth (nee Elsworth). When Thomas Jackson Mortimer died in 1833 his business was taken over by his widow, Elizabeth, and Thomas Elsworth. It continued to trade as T. E. Mortimer until 1840 but in 1834 T E Mortimer had moved to open a business under his own name at 78 Princes Street, Edinburgh and later moved to 97 George Street in 1840. He was joined by his son, Thomas Alfred Clark Mortimer, and the firm continued to trade under the name of Mortimer & Son, from 86 George Street, their address from 1854.
They later acquired the old established business of Joseph Harkom and in 1938, Mortimer & Son amalgamated with John Dickson & Son.