SOLD - John Dickson & Son Round-Action, made in 1900
12 Gauge, patent triggerplate action, side-by-side shotgun
This vintage Round-Action gun was delivered as the No. 2 of a pair in August 1900, marked with Patent Use Number 839, its the 839th patent-gun made in the Round-Actions 141 year history.
The gun is in fine condition inside and out with full coverage Sumner acanthus scroll engraving and 'John Dickson & Son' 'Patent' banner engraved on the sides of the action. The gun is fitted with a well figured stock with good chequering. The gun benefits from newer 29in chopper-lump steel barrels with 70mm chambers, the bores are unmarked inside and out and they measures as the day they were proved in 1992.
The gun has just left the workshop after having a gentle renovation to prepare it for sale - the stock and fore-end have been cleaned, re-oiled and the chequering cleaned out, we have replaced the damaged stock oval, and we have added a fresh leather covered recoil pad. The gun has had complete service, strip and clean and we have re-blacked the furniture and colored the pins, the engraving re-cut on the barrels and then re-blacked.
This gun will be perfectly suitable for use with standard steel cartridges.
Made for a Scottish international rugby player who later moved to India as a merchant, where he became a civil servant. He was knighted in 1900 for his Indian public service work and these guns were likely ordered to celebrate this.
- Action: Dickson Patent Triggerplate with assisted-opener, top lever with Scott spindle and Purdey bolt, hidden third fastener and Anson push-rod fore-end.
- Gauge: 12
- Barrel Length : 29in
- Chambers: 2 3/4in (70mm)
- Proof: London Nitro Proof at 18.5 in 1992
- Bores: 18.5 (R) & 18.5 (L)
- Walls: .029 (R) & .033 (L)
- Chokes : 1/4 (R) & 1/4 (L)
- Ejectors: Yes, Dickson Patent Ejector System
- Stock dimensions: Drop at comb 1 5/8in, Drop at heel 2 5/8in, 15 1/8in at heel, 15in to centre, 15 1/2in at toe
- Cast Off: 3/8in
- Weight: 6lb 10oz
- Location: Dunkeld
To enquire about this gun, please click here