SOLD - John Dickson & Son Hammer Gun, made in 1877
12 gauge, bar-action hammer, side-by-side shotgun
This beautiful vintage hammer gun is perhaps one of the finest we have ever had for sale, completely origin and the stock conforming to its original dimensions.
The gun is in fine condition inside and out with full classic scroll engraving for the period and the action retaining some colour. The gun is fitted with a figured stock and finished neatly with a horn heelplate. The damascus barrels were only nitro-proved in 2006.
The gun has just left the workshop after having a gentle renovation to prepare it for sale - the stock and fore-end have been cleaned, re-oiled and the chequering cleaned out, and we have repaired some wood losses to the fore-end. The gun has had complete service, strip and clean and we have re-browned the barrels, re-blacked the guard and colored the pins.
Delivered in 1877 to a young Scotsman working for the East India Company in India.
- Action: Bar-Action, Non-rebounding locks, Jones Rotary Underlever, Cross-tenon fore-end fastener.
- Gauge: 12
- Barrel Length: 30in
- Rib: 3/8in
- Chambers: 2 1/2in (65 MM)
- Proof: Birmingham Nitro Proof at .729
- Bores: .729 (R) & .729 (L)
- Walls: .033 (R) & .035 (L)
- Chokes: CYL (R) & CYL (L)
- Ejectors: No
- Stock: Drop at comb 1 5/8in, Drop at heel 2 9/16in, 14 15/16in at heel, 14 7/8in to centre, 15 3/8in at toe
- Cast OFF: 3/8in
- Weight: 6lb 14oz
- Location: MacNab Fine Firearms, Virginia, USA