SOLD - John Dickson & Son Hammer Gun, made in 1876
12 gauge, bar-action hammer, side-by-side shotgun
This classic hammer gun was built on a Purdey patent snap-action and is in fine condition inside and out with full classic scroll engraving for the period, the action is fitted with unusually large strikers. The gun is fitted with a lightly figured stock and finished neatly with a slim horn heelplate. The original damascus barrels were sleeved in 2022 and so benefits from 2 3/4in chambers.
The gun has just left the workshop after having a gentle renovation to prepare it for sale - the stock and fore-end have been cleaned, re-oiled and the chequering cleaned out, and the fitment of a new stock oval. The gun has had complete service, strip and clean and we have blacked the barrels, re-blacked the guard and top-lever and colored the pins.
Delivered in 1876 to a successful Scottish merchant in wheat and seeds who lived in Edinburgh.
- Action: Bar-Action, Rebounding locks, Purdey snap action with top lever, Anson push rod fore-end fastener.
- Gauge: 12
- Barrel Length: 30in
- Rib: 3/8in
- Chambers: 2 3/4in (70 MM)
- Proof: London Nitro Proof at 18.4 in 2022
- Bores: 18.4 (R) & 18.4 (L)
- Walls: .035 (R) & .035 (L)
- Chokes: 1/4 (R) & 1/2 (L)
- Ejectors: No
- Stock: Drop at comb 1 5/8in, Drop at heel 2 1/4in, 14 1/8in at heel, 14 1/16 to centre, 14 3/8in at toe
- Cast OFF: 3/8in
- Weight: 6lb 14oz
- Location: MacNab Fine Firearms, Bedford, Virginia, USA
To enquire about this gun click here