SOLD - G. M. Richardson of Dumfries, made in 1937
12 Gauge, A & D Ejector, side-by-side shotgun
We are very pleased to offer this pretty vintage boxlock ejector by the Scottish gunmaker George M. Richardson of Dumfries. The gun has crisp game scene engraving of partridges on the floorplate and a Pointer on the left side of the action and a Retriever on the right side of the action. By all accounts, it looks like the work of the Birmingham engraver, Harry Morris.
The scalloped action retains about 60% of its original colour hardening and overall the gun is in superb condition for its age. The gun has nice, straight-grained stock which is finished off with a slim horn heelplate.
The gun benefits from having just had a full service, strip and clean and the wood has been gently cleaned and re-polished, the chequering cleaned out and the furniture re-blacked. We have also stripped and re-laid the ribs and re-blacked the barrels. The barrels are superb inside and the lock-up to the action is firm and tight.
Like many other Scottish boxlocks, this gun was made in the trade by Holloway and Son in Birmingham, confirmed by the presence of a Holloway 'H' serial number for 1937 and Birmingham proof stamp for the year 1937.
With a choke alteration this gun will be perfectly suitable for standard steel 2 1/2in cartridges.
- Action: Anson & Deeley, top lever with Scott spindle and Purdey bolt, rocker safety and Anson push-rod fore-end.
- Gauge: 12
- Barrel Length : 28in
- Chambers: 2 1/2in
- Proof: Birmingham Nitro Proof at .719 in 1937
- Bores: .727 (R) & .727 (L)
- Walls: .026 (R) & .028 (L)
- Chokes : Cylinder (R) & 7/8 (L)
- Ejectors: Yes, Southgate type
- Stock dimensions: Drop at comb 1 5/8in, Drop at heel 2 3/8in, 14 5/8in at heel, 14 9/16in to centre, 15in at toe
- Cast Off: 3/8in
- Weight: 6lb 11oz
- Location: Dunkeld
George M. Richardson
George M Richardson established his business in about 1932 at 4 Academy Street, Dumfries. He was not recorded from about 1940, but from 1955 to 1957 he traded from 4 Buccleuch Street.