Arthur Allan of Glasgow, made in 1910
12 Gauge, A & D Ejector, side-by-side shotgun
We are very pleased to offer this Scottish vintage boxlock ejector gun by the Glasgow gunmaker, Arthur Allan.
The action has crisp border and partial acanthus scroll engraving retaining some of its original hardening colour and overall the gun is in superb condition for its age. Fitted with a figured stock which is finished off with an 3/8in ebonite heelplate.
The gun benefits from having just had a full service, strip and clean and the wood has been gently cleaned and re-polished, and the chequering cleaned out. The barrels are superb inside and out and measure as the day they were originally proved, the lock-up to the action is firm and tight.
This gun is perfectly suitable for use with standard steel 2 1/2in cartridges.
- Price: £1750
- Action: Anson & Deeley, top lever with Greener spindle and bolt, slide safety and Anson push-rod fore-end.
- Gauge: 12
- Barrel Length : 30in
- Chambers: 2 1/2in
- Proof: Birmingham Nitro Proof at 12/1 (.739)
- Bores: .738 (R) & .738 (L)
- Walls: .027 (R) & .027 (L)
- Chokes : 1/4 (R) & 1/4 (L)
- Ejectors: Yes, Deeley box type
- Stock dimensions: Drop at comb 1 1/2in, Drop at heel 2in, 14 5/8in at heel, 14 1/2in to centre, 15in at toe
- Cast Off: 3/8in
- Weight: 6lb 13oz
- Location: Dunkeld
Arthur Allan of Glasgow
Arthur Wilson Allan was born in 1833 in Catrine, Ayrshire. He was the son of Arthur (a power loom dresser and later an ironmonger) and Agnes Wilson, the family living in Commercial Road, Gorbals, Glasgow.
Arthur (II) would later became an ironmonger's salesman working for his father, he does not appear to have had a formal gun making apprenticeship but was the right age to have completed one by 1855, when he established his own business as a gun maker or probably gun retailer at 12 London Street, Glasgow. He also sold cutlery and fishing tackle and in 1857 he described himself as a mathematical tool maker as well. In 1866, he opened an additional shop at 144 Trongate, Glasgow.
By 1881, Arthur had and married and had four children, including two sons who would later join the business, Arthur (III) (b.1872) and James (b.1876). In about 1883, the shop at 12 London Street was expanded next door into 14 London Street and later, between 1894 and 1897, the shop at 12-14 London Street was closed and the firm traded only from 144 Trongate. By 1901 both Arthur (III) and his brother James were working for their father as gunmakers and a workshop was established 2 Brunswick Street.
In 1917 Arthur died and one of the two sons took over the business until the firm was bought by fellow Glasgow gunmaker, William Horton. The business continued to trade as Arthur Allan Ltd. under Horton and claimed to have the largest stock of guns and fishing tackle in Scotland and provided a repair service with "skilled workmen always on the premises." In about 1926 the company moved to 3 West Nile Street where it remained until it closed in 1985.